Grammar: Be Prepared for Fall
This rigorous grammar foundation course is designed to prepare students for the coming academic year. It is suitable for students who are working at Levels 3-7 in the MCT language arts curriculum.
The course will work through the MCT four-level analysis method, featuring the parts of speech, the parts of sentence, phrases, and clauses. It will include punctuation and usage elements, as well as essay structure and MLA research format.
There are five groups of students who will find this course especially helpful:
1. Students who are about to take their first MCT course in the Royal Fireworks Online Learning Community. This course will help them be prepared for success, particularly in the first semester.
2. Students who are enrolled in public or private schools but who are struggling with their grammar assignments or are not receiving substantial grammar instruction at all and who know that they will need grammar in their future. There is no need to struggle.
3. Homeschooled students who are not taking an MCT course in the Royal Fireworks Online Learning Community but who use the MCT grammar books, such as Grammar Town or The Magic Lens, and who want a full explanation of all that they are learning. There is no better way to study grammar than with the author of the book.
4. Older students who are on the verge of college but who never learned enough grammar to be successful in college writing. It is time to know what you are doing.
5. Students who have had bad experiences with grammar before, who attempted to learn grammar somewhere and were overwhelmed, and who felt that they failed or simply could not do it. They had the “it’s not for me” experience. Yes, it is for you. We will see how simple grammar actually is and what fun it is to be able to do it well. Prepare to be amazed.
Live Classes: Mondays, 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time, from June 1st to July 20th. Students unable to attend a live class will be able to access a recording of the class.
Student Expectations: Students may be asked to solve the grammar of challenging sentences each week and send their solutions to Michael.
Student Support: Michael is available via email.
Materials/Supplies: There will be no single textbook. Michael will provide the students with study materials via email.