Sign in for exclusive products and special discounts.
Thinkers is a guided tour through twenty great works and the minds behind them, providing the inspiration and enthusiasm that will encourage both young adult and adult readers to learn to think about thinking and the way the mind works.
Thinkers is a guided tour through a vast array of great works and the minds behind them, providing the inspiration and enthusiasm that will encourage both young adult and adult readers to learn to think about thinking and the way the mind works.
In each chapter, Michael discusses an author’s work along with the author, providing quotes from the work and valuable insight into the mind behind the creation.
The authors and their works profiled in the twenty essays are:
- Charles Van Doren, A History of Knowledge
- Sir Kenneth Clarke, Civilisation
- Richard Preston, The Hot Zone
- Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time
- George Eliot, Middlemarch
- Daniel J. Boorstin, The Creators
- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver’s Travels
- Fyodor Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment
- Vasari, The Lives of the Artists
- James Burke, The Day the Universe Changed
- A.C. Bradley, Shakespearean Tragedy
- Kaye Gibbons, Ellen Foster
- Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
- Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
- Kate Chopin, The Awakening
- Eugene O’Neill, Long Day’s Journey into Night
- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World
- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
- Frederick Douglass, The Narrative of Frederick Douglass
- Other MCT Books
- 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, Parents & Other Caregivers, Teachers & Schools
- 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
- MCT Language Arts
- Order Code